We spent 1 packed and tiring day in Budapest. We learned from it, and if we were to go again, we would break it into 2 days. This would also offer the chance to extend the itinerary with a few places that we didn’t have time for.
The Danube river splits the city of Budapest into 2 parts: Buda and Pest. This makes it extremely easy to decide how to split your itinerary by day. Our 2-days itinerary does exactly this: one day for Buda, and the second one for Pest.
The Labyrinth is an underrated attraction that perhaps many people don’t understand. It’s not just a piece of history, but also a unique, thrilling experience. Some hallways are in complete darkness with chains on the side walls. The purpose is to recreate the experience people who were locked there had. It’s fascinating how your eyes will adapt to the darkness, and you will start to see small details. The chain is there to safely guide you through the dark hallways. Unfortunately, some people will explore that part of the Labyrinth with their phone lights on. Not only that they will not understand it, but they will ruin the experience for everyone else. The phone’s light will affect your eyes’ adaptation to darkness. Perhaps the writings in the Labyrinth are not enough as some people don’t read every board. Maybe a staff member should be there to advise people what they should do.
- Széchenyi Chain Bridge
- Buda Castle
- Castle Hill
- Holy Trinity Statue
- Matthias Church
- Fisherman’s Bastion
Everytime we travel, the local markets are one of the most captivating attractions for us. They offer you an intimate glimpse into the local culture. Adding to that, you can also test some of the local delicacies and also see the food culture. In other words, the Central Market Hall is a must-see.
Hungary is home to some famous dishes, like goulash, known all over the world. Besides that, we recommend you to try the Kurtosh Kolak (Kürtőskalács in Hungarian). This sweet food was born in Transylvania, which, over the years, has been part of both Romania and Hungary. Nowdays, Transylvania is part of Romania, but the Kurtosh Kolak is a popular sweet in both countries.
Don’t forget to wander the streets of Budapest, as there are a lot of bronze monuments and statues to discover.
- Hungarian Parliament Building
- Shoes on the Danube Bank
- St. Stephen’s Basilica
- Central Market Hall
- City Park
- Vajdahunyad Castle
- Heroes’ Square
In case you want to customize your itinerary and replace some of the items above. Perhaps you want to spend one more extra day in Budapest. Then we have a few more suggestions. Margaret island is a tranquil gateway from the city, in the middle of the city.
We’re not really big fans of museums, and oftentimes we get bored, but there are a few museums in Budapest that seem interesting. We listed below a few of them that we consider the most interesting.
- Margaret Island
- Budapest Pinball Museum
- Holocaust Memorial Center
- Hungarian National Gallery
- Hungarian National Museum
- Museum of Applied Arts
I hope you find this information useful for planning your 2 or 3-days city break itinerary in Budapest. Have fun, and let us know your feedback in the comments below.
It takes a lot of planning for the perfect trip, but packing can sometimes be frustrating. Either packing too many things or packing too few can ruin a bit of the fun. We’ve perfected our packing checklist over the years, and we believe it will be of good use for you too. We also have some travel packing tips & tricks to share to save you the hustle we once had.
Related Travel Articles
- 13,000km road trip to Nordkapp - Europe's Northernmost point
- Planning a Two Weeks Trip in Southern England and London, United Kingdom
- 19 Unmissable Things To Do In Singapore - Map Included
- Singapore In 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Or More Days Itineraries - Map Included
- What Can You Do In An Extra Half A Day In Singapore - Map Included
- How To Spend One Day Hiking and Cycling In Singapore - Map Included
- Nature Scenic Walks In The Southern Ridges Of Singapore Finishing In Sentosa
- Singapore's Gardens By The Bay In One Day
- Exploring The Cultural Diversity Of Singapore In One Day
- 7+ days Itinerary in Iceland - Map Included
- Planning An One-Month Trip In The Nordic Countries
- Road Trip Ideas To Discover Austria - Map Included
- 3-days Itinerary in Vienna, Austria - Map Included
- City Break Itinerary In Cairo, Egypt - Map Included
- Trip to Mallorca (Majorca), Spain - Map Included
- 5-days Itinerary in Barcelona, Spain - Map Included
- 4-days Itinerary in Prague, Czechia - Map Included
- Travel to Iceland Map
- Travel to Sardinia - Map Included
- Travel to Tenerife Itinerary - Map Included
Writing free, independent and personal travel content since 2021. If you appreciate what we do, then you can return the favor by using the affiliate links below: